Active Town Closures and CancellationsThe following will be closed until further notice:
- Town Hall
- Whitman Public Library
- Council on Aging
- All town offices, including the Department of Public Works
- All town fields, parks and recreational areas
- No gatherings of any kind of more than 25 people at one time, in one place.
- All public and private schools in Massachusetts will close on Tuesday, March 17 until at least April 7.
- All bars and restaurants will only be able to serve takeout customers.
PreventionThe COVID-19 situation is very fluid, and new information and guidelines are being posted by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) on a regular basis. The CDC offers the following guidance for how COVID-19 spreads. If anyone displays symptoms of COVID-19, including a fever, cough or shortness of breath, they should not go to work or school and are advised to contact their primary care physician. According to the CDC, symptoms of the virus appear within 2-14 days of exposure. The Massachusetts Department of Public Health (DPH) recommends that residents continue with good hygiene practices including:
- Practice good hand hygiene! Wash your hands often with soap and water for at least 20 seconds including under your fingernails. Alcohol-based hand sanitizer (at least 60% alcohol content) can be used when soap and water are not available.
- Keep your hands away from your face.
- Cover your nose and mouth when sneezing and coughing with a tissue and discard it immediately. Cough into the sleeve over your elbow instead of your hand. Wash your hands often when coughing and sneezing.
- Stay away from people who are sick and stay home when you are sick.